Sunday, May 30, 2010

Our Story... So far

So I have been thinking about the way mine and Luke's journey came about, I mean the way we came to love each other. Some people may already know, but many people probably think "oh they dated in high school, planned to go college together, and here they are." That is not how it went... I love the story because it has the fingerprints of God ALL over it!
So here it goes...

Luke and I did go to high school together, however we paid ZERO attention to one another. I dated someone else for 10th grade and part of 11th grade, and he had a totally different group of friends than I did. About the middle of senior year I slowly started to hang out with his group of friends through mutual friends and Luke and I would talk here and there. I kind of thought he was a little strange (the big puffy hair was a little intense for me) and he thought I was a brat. ha. Slowly we would talk and interact but no real depth or friendship. One afternoon we were in the same area talking after school and in trying to make conversation he said "Do you know where you are going to college?" I answered "Yeah! Columbus State" He looked shocked and said "Oh! Really? Me too" HMMM.... I thought "oh thats cool I will know someone".
Senior prom rolled around and Luke was just too slow at the asking, so someone else in our group of friends asked first. I said yes, but eventually got out of it because by this point Luke and I had started to build some sort f friendship that I knew I wanted to be more. After I got out of going with the other guy Luke asked, we went, and had a great time! We both knew that we liked one another, but didn't really want to make a big deal about it so we would go out in groups, secretly hold hands, etc. hahaha.

Here we are then...


That summer we started dating. If you don't know, Luke has Cystic Fibrosis. I would not have expected myself to be okay with this health condition, because I have some control issues and I had never dealt closely with any health problems. The crazy God orchestrated part is this... in 10th grade (2 years before I ever talked to Luke) I took a child development class and had to do a project on a childhood illness. Guess which disease I was given? yep! CF! CRAZY... I know. I did the project and through the assignment realized that a kid in my grade had CF (that would be Luke). So when it came time for me to decide if I was willing to start building a relationship with someone who has CF I was very aware of what that entailed. And surprisingly I was totally willing to take that chance... I knew there was something special. I didn't know what, I was definitely not aware of the joy and partner I would find from taking that chance. And for the past 5 years we have learned what it is to commit to a person, to love, we have grown, stumbled, struggled, encouraged, served, laughed, I have cried, apologized, rejoiced, and the list goes on. I personally have learned so much. While at Columbus State we were lead to a campus ministry called Cougars for Christ. This ministry rocked our world, taught us so many truths and really challenged our faith. In some ways I feel like Cougars for Christ was preparing us for the community we will be serving with in LA. Because they are both similar and both are so different from the church families where we were raised. I was just thinking about how this has all been weaved together, how my heart has responded differently to our journey than I ever would have expected, and I realized that people may not know how we got here... so I wanted to share.

Here we are now... Time flies...The journey has been beautiful. Not perfect. But beautiful... can't wait for it to continue!

1 comment:

Shanna M. said...

Isn't that amazing how God makes everything come together so perfectly and we don't even see it until we back up and look at the big picture!

Post a Comment